From: David M. Cook [mailto:dave@davidcook.org]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 November 2002 9:35 PM
To: Psyche List
Subject: Re: CD-ROM/R/W/DVD Device

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 05:24:14PM +1100, Wolfgang Gill wrote:

> I am currently setting up RH8.0 for a friend on his Compaq Armada M700
> Notebook. All is working ok. BUT, I would like to configure the CD-ROM
which
> does it all, CD, CD/RW, DVD. It can see the device as /dev/cdrom. But I
> can't seem to be able to configure it for cd burning. Has anyone else set
> anything up like this for a notebook??

The installer should have set this up so that ide-scsi emulation is used for
this device.  Check that the module is loaded:

lsmod

Also check to see if it's set up in /boot/grub/grub.conf:

	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdb=ide-scsi

What does

cdrecord -scanbus

show?  You can use

cdrecord -inq

to get more info about the device itself.

Once you know where the device is, you can either specify it with the
dev= option in cdrecord, or you can set the CDR_DEVICE environment
variable (in $HOME/.bash_profile, /etc/profile, or a separate file in
/etc/profile.d.)

For cdrdao, you can make a link from /dev/cdrecorder to
whichever "SCSI generic" device is used for he recorder (unless it's on the
second SCSI bus, this is usually going to be /dev/sg0)

cd /dev
ln -s sg0 cdrecorder

Cdrdao also will probably need to be told which driver to use.  You can get
this info with the "cdrecord -inq" command above.  You can then set this in
$HOME/.cdrdao

write_driver: "generic-mmc"
read_driver: "generic-mmc"
write_device: "0,0,0"
read_device: "0,0,0"

The above is what I use for the Matshita CDRW/DVD combo drive that came with
my Inspiron.

I use cdrdao only for reading the TOC file on CDs and for writing the final
audio CD; it's extremely slow when copying CDs, so I use

cdparanoia 1- data.wav

for the copy step.

If you want to be able to use the recorder as a user rather than root, the
/dev/cdrecorder link above comes in handy.  Just create a line in
/etc/security/console.perms for it:

<cdrw>=/dev/cdrecorder*

Then whoever "owns" the console (i.e. the person sitting in front of the
machine) will be able to use the recorder without being root (for cdrecord,
cdrdao, and cdparanoia).

For DVD play, go to

http://freshrpms.net

where you'll find all the software you'll need to play DVDs in RPM format.
You may also need to load a few Red Hat RPMs that didn't get loaded during
the initial install.  up2date comes in handy for this, e.g.

up2date glut

I didn't say anything about GUIs for cd recording because I don't use them,
but there are several that come with RH8 (look for names like burn, combust,
etc.)

Well, that's somewhat of an infodump, but I hope you find some of it useful.

Dave Cook

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com