Re: evolution 1.2 rpm for 8.0???

On 12 Nov 2002, Chris Kloiber wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 09:24, Brian K. Jones wrote:
> > I don't get it.  What's so hard about installing red-carpet and getting
> > it from there, like the ximian site says to do if you're running RH8?
> > It's really not that hard, and it works well.  I'm writing this in 1.2
> > now, which I've had since almost immediately after the release (oh yeah,
> > I'm running RH8)
> >
> > Did I miss something?  Is there something wrong with the ximian rpmz?
> > /brian
> >
> > On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 09:08, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> > > If you're looking for RPMs from the Red Hat maintainer, keep you eyes on
> > > this directory:
> > >
> > > http://people.redhat.com/~katzj/evolution/
> > >
> > > or, of course, Rawhide.
> > >
> > > Jeremy had some 1.2 beta release RPMS up for a while.
> > >
> > > Tom
> > --
> > Brian K. Jones <jonesy@cs.princeton.edu>
> > Princeton University, Dept. of Computer Science
>
> I don't have specific information for you on this topic, but if you read
> the RELEASE-NOTES on the Red Hat Linux 8.0 CD, you can get an idea about
> what hoops you need to go through to upgrade a system with ximian rpms
> on it.

I installed the Ximian rpms on an earlier version of Redhat.  It was very
easy to install and ran well...however, just try and remove the damn
things.  The Ximian folks have provided a one way street.  They wouldn't
even answer my question about how to remove them.

It's a very tedious process that ended up breaking a lot of Redhat stuff
before I was done.  I had to go through the pain since I couldn't upgrade
to the next Redhat version without removing them.

I'll never put those rpms back on any system I manage!

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer