Re: home lan

** Reply to message from jdow <jdow@earthlink.net> on Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:10:52
-0800

>snip> I wonder how many people bother to
> setup the tcpwrappers level of security on their systems. It's not much
> but it can make doing anything once iptables is punctured rather on
> the difficult side topologically speaking. "Ain't no way there from here.")

I, for one:

---------------
cat /etc/hosts.deny
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!

ALL: ALL: spawn echo tcpwrap has detected an Unauthorised Connection Attempt\
 from %h %a to %d at `date`|tee -a /var/log/secure|mail root@xxx.xxx

# cat /etc/hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#

ALL: LOCAL .localdomain
SSHD,X11-SSH-OFFSET: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Only 3 IPs allowed to ssh in. All others denied.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@shaw.ca