Re: home lan

From: "Dale Kosan" <dale_kosan@fastmail.fm>

> Just for the record, most of the lower price dsl/routers also do port
> forwarding so you can still use ssh, samba, apache ect...

But can they do side duty as a backup store for your other machines?
I put a modern large but only medium fast IDE drive in the cheap machine
and use it as a backup store, particularly when making massive changes
to the other machines. I had the old Pentium so I recycled it into a
handy interface machine with some backup store.

{^_-}   (I know storing backups on a firewall is not a good idea. However,
        since the firewall is closed down from the outside the internal
        network is pretty much wide open. Once through the firewall the
        rest is a cakewalk by comparison. I'd rather have the files I do
        not want to lose have another redundant storage place. So I'd
        need that old machine on the network, anyway. And pardon me, it's
        now 166 MHz. I recycled computers downwards when I upgraded my
        compile machine a few months ago.)