M-Systems Disk On Key

I recently bought an M-Systems 128 Mb Disk-On-Key (version 2.51). When I
plug this into the USB port of a Linux computer that has never been used
with this device before, it seems to create a directory
'/mnt/diskonkey'. The directory never existed before. It disappears when
you unmount and then unplug the disk key.

looking at /var/log/messages shows the disk key being registered as a
USB mass storage device. But there is nothing about it creating
directories on my system.

How can this be done? Users other than root can't create files on /mnt.
How did my disk key suddenly get root access?

By the way, the disk key works great. I currently have the
kernel-source-2.4.18-17.8.0 rpm on it It's nice to be able to hot plug a
disk into a machine and copy over needed files. I just wish I could boot
off one of these.

Thanks

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA