Re: Script to copy files to all users?

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Brian Johnson wrote:

> I just (took me a few months of infrequent looking) found documentation for adding
> additional directories and files for new users (under /etc/skel) - and a newuser
> script to incorporate those changes from the red hat europe web site
>
> I still have a couple of questions:
>
> I would like to figure out how to change the default permissions on the home
> directories and files to allow each user (by default) to access other user's
> directories and files (internal security is not a concern for our small office and
> this would cut down on IT admin time)

How big an office do you need before security becomes a problem?

I suggest that instead of making /home/* readable to all, you create a
directory somewhere lese for shared data.

Maybe /home/shared (maybe with a further subdirectory for each user) and give
that the same permissions as /tmp.

Everyone can put stuff in there, everyone can read stuff there, nobody 'cepting
root can change stuff someone else put there.

> I'm looking for a script that would allow me to copy a file (or bunch of files) to
> all of the user's home directories - it would be handy for upgrading .wine
> configuration files and also openoffice .sversionrc files (probably other files on
> occasion too).  Anyone have a link to one?

Put it in /home/shared and tell everyone it's there.