Re: nfs question

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 09:57:02PM -0800, anthony baldwin wrote:
> I;ve been using linux for about 8 months now and it is time to get serious.
> I want to network my iBook with this linux box.
> I have them sharing the dsl connection, but not files or the printer.
> Should I do that with nfs? smb?

Actually, with a Macintosh netatalk works very well.  It allows you to
run Appleshare over IP.

As for printing, you first need to determine which system hosts the
printer.  The standard method of printing is via lpd although these days
you can print over just about anything.  Since Macs support Postscript
very well and you don't have to deal with winprinting crap, the print
setup should be fairly straight forward.  The LaserWriter print driver
appears to support lpr directly, so point it at your Linux system if
that's where your printer is.  On the Linux side, you may have to
do a Postscript to whatever conversion depending on what kind of printer
you've got.  Ghostscript is typically used for this.  Before we can go
much farther, you should tell us which system hosts the printer, and
what kind of printer it is since each combination has different gotchas.

> And, can I set up an nfs server here when my ip is dynamic?

My personal preference would be to give the internal systems a static IP
address and restrict your external connectivity to dynamic if required
(most DSL connections that I'm aware of are static, whereas cable modems
are usually dynamic).  If you don't have a firewall already, put one
immediately.  Do not allow nfs through your firewall unless you really
know what you're doing and it's for readonly sharing.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@ewilts.org