Re: issues with KVM switches

On Sat, 9 Nov 2002 psyche@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:

>Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 18:57:31 +0800 (WST)
>From: psyche@computerdatasafe.com.au
>To: psyche-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: issues with KVM switches
>
>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
>> > In practice this is not true.  When plugging the keyboard and display directly
>> > into the machine after boot everything works fine.  I'm not using a mouse.  I
>> > would not expect the PS/2 mouse to work, however I would expect the keyboard and
>> > video to work.  Whether or not it's good to be 'hotplugging' these devices is a
>> > different issue.
>>
>> Not trying to start some kind of religious war but as a real world datapoint
>> I have been hot plugging PS/2 keyboards and mice since the first ones came out
>> years ago. Never had a problem.
>

>OTOH a chap I know says he saw one get fried by hotplugging.
>
>If it's your computer, fine. If it's someone else's then I
>suggest you don't.

While it is generally advised that people don't hotplug PS/2
devices, I'm not sure where, if anywhere this is actually
officially documented.  The devices have insert events they send,
which implies that they were intended for hot swap purposes IMHO.

I've been hotplugging PS/2 devices ever since they've appeared on
the market and have never once had any problem or any device get
hurt.

I would consider the likelyhood of damage ever occuring to be as
small or smaller than a particular device (such as USB) getting
damaged by hotplugging.

So, while there might be something out there stating they're
officially not hotpluggable, I would wager all modern PS/2
devices, and the port they plug into is well equipped to deal
with this.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer