Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

On 7 Nov 2002, Atlantic Tech Solutions wrote:

>Date: 07 Nov 2002 15:39:08 -0500
>From: Atlantic Tech Solutions <tech@atlantictechsolutions.com>
>To: "psyche-list@redhat.com" <psyche-list@redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution
>
>Mike,
>
>I'll have to agree with most that the docs are a bit sketchy. Your
>explanations on the list here should be used verbatim in revised docs.

If someone has filed a bug against the documentation, it will
likely get fixed.

>I am on the xfree 86 font list as well and I _know_ you have put a _lot_
>of work into fixing a major weakness on the Linux Desktop. If it is not
>said here by others, it certainly is genuinely appreciated and
>recognized.

The actual work is mostly done by Keith Packard
<keithp@xfree86.org> for Xft/fontconfig.  Owen Taylor did the
packaging of this stuff for 8.0, and worked with Keith Packard
very closely to ensure it was as reliable and useable as possible
for 8.0, so they really deserve most of the credit for the font
stuff.

>I am testing/documenting Scribus, a GPL DTP application. The
>improvements in RH 8.0 really do ehance the usability a ton.  See here:
>www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/scriscreen.html  and here:
>www.atlantictechsolutions.com/scribusdocs/keramik.html

Good stuff.

>Now that the backend is fixed... a good font manager like Adobe
>Type Manager is most definitely needed.  I'd do it my self if I
>could code...

That type of application is something that the open source
community will likely have to develop IMHO.  If something nice
gets developed and there is a large enough user demand for it,
I'm sure we'd include it likely though.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer