From: Basil L. Copeland Jr. [mailto:blcjr@sprynet.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 4:01 PM
To: psyche-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: SAMBA Project Documentation and compiles

At 02:21 PM 11/7/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>The SAMBA Project Documentation indicates a number of times that SAMBA
>must be compiled to get some functionality.  But, in RH8 some of those
>functions work without having done the .configure and compile.
>
>How can one tell what is already compiled into to the SAMBA package as it
>comes from RH?

      Have you read the RH 8.0 docs configuration guide?  There is a
chapter in it on Samba.  I assume that anything supported in the
configuration guide does not require recompiling.  Also, have you looked at
the RH 8.0 smb.conf file?  It is heavily commented, and that too should
give you an idea of what is supported with recompiling.

      I think the SAMBA Project Documentation is probably outdated, and
that much of what you read about there needed compiling is not necessary
with the version of Samba shipping with RH 8.0.  I haven't found any need
to recompile yet, and I've tried to do some pretty advanced stuff (such as
configure support for winbind and nt domain logins).

-Basil