esd locks up X during post-login initialization

I have upgraded one of my machines from Valhala (7.3) to Psyche (8.0).
I am fully up2date on this machine.  Sound works fine using the
via82cxxx_audio module.  xmms plays audio fine using the OSS driver
plugin.

When I first logged into my machine after upgrade, I found that esd
locks up X during post-login initialization.  The mouse and keyboard do
not respond.  ctrl+alt+backspace and ctrl+alt+del do not work.  I am
forced to do a system reset via the reset switch.  Running starx from
command line in runlevel 3 behaves the same way.

Through much trial and error, I determined that the problem was esd.  In
order to be able to login and disable the sound, I did the following
before loging back into X:

1) Logged in as root at console.
2) Deleted the socket file in /tmp/.esd.
3) Took ownership of /tmp/.esd (as root)
4) Did a chmod ugo-w /tmp/.esd.

This causes esd to fail because it can not create the socket file and
login continues normally.  I could then get back in to my account
running X and turn the sound preferences off using the GUI config tools.

Running sndconfig again does not seem to make a difference.  sndconfig
is successful in identifying and testing my sound card.  It sets up the
/etc/modules.conf exactly as it was before and the problem persists.

What could possibly be causing this problem with esd?  I'm at a loss
since the sound module seem to be working fine via the oss drivers in
xmms and in the sndconfig test.  Is there anything I can do in the way
of further testing or provide more info?
--
Philip A. Chapman

Application Development:
Java, Visual Basic, VB for Applications, PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL
Linux, Windows 9x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP