Re: Why is gnome-teminal so slow?

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:19:20PM +0100, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Gnome-terminal like shipped in RedHat  8.0 is very, very, very slow.
> The funny thing is that Mandrake 9 cames with exactly the same version
> and it is about ten times faster (not an exaggeration).  As fast as the
> gnome-terminal in Redhat 7.x or the standard xterm.
>
> I thought it could be related to fonts or antialisaing so I tried
> different fonts, turning off antialiasing and kerning but to no avail.
>
> So why is that RedHat's gnome-terminal is so much slower?

Probably VTE backend widget vs. Zvt. We use VTE which works in
non-ASCII locales and uses the new font system and redraws without
flicker and other good stuff.

Newer VTE versions are faster, though probably they won't ever be
quite as fast as Zvt (simply because some of Zvt's speed is gained by
cutting corners, such as Unicode support and i18n, that should not be
cut).

I'd expect Mandrake to move to VTE in their next release, and GNOME
2.2 will probably default to VTE.

Havoc