Re: Why is gnome-teminal so slow?

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:19:20PM +0100, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Gnome-terminal like shipped in RedHat  8.0 is very, very, very slow.
> The funny thing is that Mandrake 9 cames with exactly the same version
> and it is about ten times faster (not an exaggeration).  As fast as the
> gnome-terminal in Redhat 7.x or the standard xterm.
>
> I thought it could be related to fonts or antialisaing so I tried
> different fonts, turning off antialiasing and kerning but to no avail.
>
> So why is that RedHat's gnome-terminal is so much slower?

Short answer: implementation detail.

Long answer:  gnome-terminal is more or less a wrapper around a library
which implements a terminal emulator widget, adding features (like the
ability to change settings without having to recompile the application)
which some people find useful.  gnome-terminal 2.x can be configured at
compile-time to use either libzvt or vte, both of which implement
terminal widgets.  The GNOME 2 packages in Red Hat Linux use vte, and
IIRC the GNOME 2 packages in Mandrake Linux use libzvt.  gnome-terminal
from GNOME 1.x used libzvt as well, so the speed should be comparable if
gnome-terminal 2.x is also built with libzvt, as most of the
processor-intensive code is in the widget rather than the shell.  There
are tradeoffs to using either, but both continue to be developed.

HTH,

Nalin