RESOLVED: Red Hat 8.0 Netgear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment

First, thanks to all that responded with comments and suggestions - they
were all good!  I've learned plenty about the boot process, kudzu, and most
importantly:  the various places you can go to find help for Linux.

Turns out the solution was on the Scyld web site in the section describing
how to identify IRQ assignment problems with NIC's...

The box I'm working on is an HP Pavilion 466.  There is a well-hidden
option for choosing the installed operating system - directions on how to
find it are below.  As soon as I changed the OS to Other, I rebooted and
everything now works fine.

For those of you who missed the thread, the error I was seeing was that
eth0 was failing to initialize - the dmesg text listed "No IRQ found for
pin 1 of..."  The default IRQ used was 0, which is the system clock - it
doesn't share well with others.  If you tried to bring up the interface
manually, you get the message "Device or resource  busy..."

http://www.scyld.com/expert/irq-conflict.html

Reboot and F1 into PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility at startup.

Right-Arrow to the "Advanced" page. Below the CPU Type/Speed/Cache entries
is a line: "Installed O/S:" Three alternatives are offered: Win95,
Win98/WinNT5.0, and Other. Choosing "Other" is the proper selection for
Linux. Exit, saving the changes. Continue booting into Linux.