Re: True type fonts in mozilla./evolution

Mike A. Harris wrote:

>The tool, is any filemanager.  Copy font files into any existing
>font directory containing TTF files.  Then reboot.  Simple as it
>is in Windows.  The fonts should be available in both Xft2, Xft1,
>and legacy font applications.  Is the reboot required?  No, but
>we're aiming for "simple" here, so that is the way most Windows
>users grok things, and is the simplest quickest answer not
>requiring any reading, or technical knowledge. For more technical
>folk, simply do a "service xfs reload" as has always worked in
>the past.  For any apps using Xft, any new fonts added are made
>available the next time the app is ran.
>
>So, unified font configuration is:
>
>1) Put fonts into systemwide TTF font directory

What about other formats? Not every font is TrueType. Considering the
patent issues with TrueType, I'd prefer something better.
Where do the other fomats go? I use several apps on non-Linux systems
(the X remote display is great) that don't use Xft or TTF.

>2) "service xfs reload"
>3) Restart any applications that you want the fonts to show up
>   in.

Does all of this work for fontservers? As mentioned above for remote
work, I have fonts from HP-UX, Solaris, and Linux on one server, used by
all three system types.
Can I put all my fonts on one machine and tell the others to get the
fonts from it?
Do I need to share /usr/share/fonts via NFS or samba? What about
$HOME/.fonts?

>Steps 2 and 3 can be replaced by a "reboot".  I'm not sure how
>much simpler it can get than that.  Why on earth would one need
>some GUI "font configuration tool"?  Does Windows need such a
>tool?  Does Macintosh?  Does any sane OS?  No, not really.  And

Yes it does . Tools like  Bitstream's "Font Navigator" or Adobe's "Font
Manager" that allow you to add/remove fonts. Windoze also has a limit on
how many font you can use. Over 400 and it gets slow. Around 1200 the
registry appears to run out of room for more. My wife is a graphic
designer, hence the huge number of fonts, and has hit the limit. The
above tools allow you to see what the font looks like and the "Font"
name, not "File" name. They allow you to store fonts in places other
than C:\windows\fonts, and add/remove from the registry as needed,
simply and painlessly. I mentioned to Havoc that GNOME need such a tool,
and he agreed. To dat, I don't understand GUI programming enough to even
start one.

>you don't need one really in Red Hat Linux either.  If fonts are
>placed in the correct place, and the system restarted, or
>manually restart as above, things "just work(TM)", which is the
>whole point.

So how to you check for duplicates?
Many fonts are know by multiple names.  Some are copies of others, like
the ugly Helvetica clone M$ thrust on us, Arial.

    -Thomas