Re: IBM packed decimal format conversion utilities

On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Paul Hamm wrote:

=>I am familiar with EBCDIC and ASCII conversion with dd.  Currently I need to
=>convert a mainframe tape in EBCDIC with packed decimal format into ASCII.
=>dd does not handle packed decimal format.  Does anyone know of a utilitie
=>that does?
=>
=>Paul Hamm
=>Manager  Technical Services
=>Open Ratings Inc
=>617-582-5124
=>www.openratings.com
This is gonna sound weird, but you might be able to write a PL/I program
to do it. Packed decimal is an integral datatype of the language. IBM has
a (the?) PL/I compiler, but I can put you in touch with the current owner
of the PL/I compiler that runs under Digital Alpha Unix.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the easiest way to go. Your only other
alternative is to write something in perl going heavy with the pack and
unpack functions.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ