Re: How to Change Vfat ownership and permissions?

David wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, John P Verel wrote:
>
> >I'm finding impossible to change ownership and permissions on my
> >vfat partititon.  Even as root, I get denied.
>
> You can only set the user/group ownership for the whole filesystem,
> and only at mount time.  FAT can't handle unix filesystem semantics.
>
> David.

I am read/writing to a vfat partition just fine. In /etc/fstab, I have
the following line:

     /dev/hda4  /mnt/share   vfat    gid=share,umask=02      0 0

The mount point looks like this:

     drwxrwxr-x    5 root  share    4096 Dec 31  1969 /mnt/share

Then I add users to the "share" group and they have read/write/execute
permission on this filesystem. Works fine for sharing data between
Windows and Linux on a dual boot system.

The umask=02 option causes *all* files and directories on this
filesystem to be mode 755. The gid=share option causes *all* files and
directories to have their group set to share. The root user owns all
the files and directories because uid=root is the default.

--
Danial M. Howard--howadani at isu.edu--(208) 282-3097
IT Systems Programmer, Computing and Communications