RE: Red Hat 8.0 Netgear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment

 > Message: 11 Subject: RE: Red Hat 8.0 Netgear FA311 identification and
 > IRQ >assignment To: psyche-list@redhat.com From: "Robert R Baer"
 > <rbaer@csc.com> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 10:29:54 -0500 Reply-To:
 > psyche-list@redhat.com

 > Lanny,

 > Thank you very much for the reply.  Sounds like I have a very similar
 >  environment at home as I also have a Linksys Router/Switch connected
 > to my cable modem.

You are welcome. Our Linksys is a BEFSR41.

 > We have a Circuit City fairly close - I'm going to call over there to
 >  see if they can find me a FA310TX.

You are lucky they have a store nearby. We live in South America. If the
local Circuit City store doesn't have them, hopefully their web site
still has them.  The FA310TX was, as I recall, certified by Red Hat for
version 7.2 or close to that and has always worked in other RH versions
for me.

 > Someone had also mentioned using an Intel EtherExpress Pro, but I
 > find that the local stores (Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, etc.)
 > only carry the cheaper brands, such as Linksys, Netgear, Siemens,
 > etc.

I don't know about that Intel NIC, but the Compaq Evo D300v desktop I
won in September has an integrated Intel NIC and it works fine, with Win
98 SE or RH Linux. However, it sounds far more expensive.

I think I'd stay away from the Linksys NIC, from things I've seen in
postings about them, but I have no experience with them.

 > The FA311 works fine with Win2kPro.

The day the Cable Modem company came out here to install our service, I
had the brand new FA311 installed in the box they connected to. Running
Win 98 SE. We simply could not get the card to Release All and then
Renew All, properly. It seemed to be working, but there was some glitch.
I then swapped it for a FA310TX and we got the show on the road.

 > I'm waiting until I have a free half hour to take it out and put it
 > in a different slot.  Other people have mentioned that they don't
 > have problems with the card, but I've also found lots of threads with
 > people who do have trouble.

As someone else pointed out, some of those FA311 NICs misidentified as
an FA312 (?) and Netgear posted a way around that. Mine doesn't have
that problem, but I'm very sad Netgear discontinued the FA310TX.

 > I did tell the card to activate at boot - and it just errors out
 > trying to share IRQ 0.

As I think you posted in another message, the box you are using has a
BIOS with limited configuration settings. I see a huge difference in
BIOS, between our Dell Dimension 4300 and the Compaq Evo D300v, which is
primarily sold (apparently) to Enterprise clients. The Compaq BIOS is
very configurable.

GL,Lanny in Colombia

P.S.
I switched to Mozilla Mail, after replying to you last night. I couldn't
get "Cut" and "Paste" to work, using Evolution, into a Compose window.
It works in Mozilla Mail.