Re: Red Hat 8.0 Netgear FA311 identification and IRQ assignment

At least one version of the Linksys chipsets aren't supported according
to the Red Hat HCL.

I like Netgear (the FA310TX should be available on Amazon), and the dirt
cheap CompUSA network cards and Hawking Technology cards. Currently One
of my machines is using a Hawking Technology 10/100 card that I bought
for $9.99 on Amazon. I love it! The cheapo cards all seem to have
Realtek chipsets. Anything with a Realtek 8139 chipset should just work.

With some PCI devices like SCSI cards you may have to swap cards in and
out, or swap them into and out of different PCI slots, before getting a
working set of cards that coexist and function. That has happened to me
with and (older) Adaptec SCSI card.

However, the cheaper cards might not use all 4 of the wires needed for a
TIA 568A-standard connection. They might use fewer.

Bob Cochran

Greenbelt, Maryland, USA