Extra memory and speed...

Hi,

I've just added 128MB of ram to my DELL latitude in the hope that it
would increase performance, as it had only 128MB which is below the
recommended spec of just under 200MB of RAM.  It does not seem to have
made much difference at all to speed.  Is there are setting that needs
to be changed so the system can make better use of this extra memory?
The memory is being recognized okay and is shown in System Monitor.

The following are speeds of starting some applications:
OpenOffice Writer - 55 seconds on first start, then 5 seconds there
after, if the original start is left open.
Mozilla - 28 seconds on first start, then 8 seconds thereafter if first
session left running.
Evolution - 34 seconds
Abode Acrobat - 5 seconds
Gimp - 12 seconds

Do these times seems reasonable for a PIII 500 with 256MB of ram?  When
I run OpenOffice on a W2K box with 198MB RAM, it starts in only 5
seconds, without Quickstart, and with Quickstart it takes only 1
second.  Is there a Quickstart equivalent for the Linux version of
OpenOffice?

When looking at System Monitor it shows 237MB memory used and 42.1MB of
swap used.  This is with only Evolution, Mozilla and OpenOfficeWriter
running.  Seems a lot of memory being used to me?

I suspect these questions have been asked before, so apologize if I've
missed the answers or not looked in the right places for answers.

I'm trying to get my family to use RH but the main complaint I get is
that its too slow for them.  They like all the games, but that's about
it.  If there is any configuration to speed things up it would be much
appreciated.

I've found Kernel Tuning, but was not sure if anything there would help
speed or whether changing anything would mess things up totally.

All help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil