Re: Can hear xawtv, but can't record audio

--- Stephan André Schmidt
<stephanandre.schmidt@uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did you (really) check the "R" of line-in in both
> files, /etc/.aumixrc and
> in the ".aumixrc" in your home dir? What kind of
> sound card do you have? I
> have had a bit trouble here with my CMI 8738. Also,
> make sure to check the
> permissions of /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio, /dev/mixer,
> etc.
> If it all does not help then maybe you want to take
> a look at "alsa" which
> normally has better drivers for the sound cards. If
> you want to install
> it, you can check the settings of the sound devices
> with the prog
> "alsamixer".
>
> Bye,
>
> Stephan

Stephan,

Yes, I checked both /etc/.aumixrc and ~/.aumixrc and
changed the LINE to 100:100:R in both files.  I also
tried it with some of the other entries (after it
still not working).  The line-in recording is still
not working.

I have verified that the line-in records fine in
Windows and in another linux installation on another
drive.  The card itself is a Creative SB Live Value
card and works just fine otherwise -- i.e. games,
sound events, etc.  Therefore, it appears to be a
configuration issue with the line-in recording within
Red Hat itself.  I checked the permissions of
/dev/audio /dev/mixer etc. and they were all set to rw
for my user.  The owner of each of those devices is my
user, but the group each one belongs to is root.  I
have not tried changing any of those permissions or
ownership/group rights.

I'm at a loss here.  I'm still googling around to see
if I can find anything, but if anyone has any
suggestions I would be very appreciative.  Thanks for
all the help, Stephan.

Regards,
Charles