Re: Backup

Hi Stephen,

This depends on what the slave drives partitions are. Assume it is
/de/hdc1, the following command would be the one:

tar cvzf /dev/hdc1/name_of_file_to_create.tar.gz /What_to_backup

So, say your home directory is /home/stephen we would issue the
following command: tar cvzf /dev/hdc1/stephen.tar.gz /home/stephen

This will backup your home partition and put it on hdc1 as
stephen.tar.gz.

Once you are done re-installing and have the slave drive connected
change over to it and at a prompt issue the following:

tar xvzf stephen.tar.gz

This will untar the files to the slave drive and you can then copy them
to your main drive. Hope this helps...