3 problems with RH8, 3com905, nvidia

I have 3 (probably install-related) problems with Psyche.

After finally having the System up and running and being able to go into
gnome or kde, i can't figure how to get my 3Com 3c905B to work.
On bootup, it is detected alright (as far as i can see), but it complains
about the IP-config for eth0 failed, and suggests that the cable might not
be plugged in (but it is, of course, and my switch detects a connected nic
alright).
The thing worked just fine on the same box, but running windows XP, which I
want to get rid of.

When in Gnome or KDE and I launch the network-config tool, the eth0 is shown
as inactive, trying to activate it fails.
In the hardware config, no values are assigned of any kind. I tried to enter
values manually (nic gets assigned IRQ12 by BIOS), but no success.
the nic doesn't show up on my /proc/interrupts, but it does show up in my
/proc/iomem and /proc/ioports correctly id'd as the nic it is. Though, as i
am quite new to linux, I don't know if that means anything.

the second problem I have is that in Gnome (or kde as well), when I try to
launch the hardware browser, the window pops up shortly then closes right
again, as if crashing on start. No Idea here.

the third problem is, that with kernel development (all subpackages) and
development tools (all subpackages) installed, when I try to install the
latest nvidia-drivers for my GF4TI4200, I get errors. I try to do
"rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm", and i get:

warning user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning group buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning user buildmeister does not exist - using root
warning group buildmeister does not exist - using root
Fehler: unpacking of archive failed on file
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/NVIDIA_kernel_1.0-3123.tar.gz;3dc54c69: cpio: read
Fehler: NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm cannot be installed

note, that i installed german as primary language, and "Fehler" of course
means Error :-)

All of the above happens when i am logged on as standard user and also when
i am logged on as root.

As I mentioned above, the system workes fine under Windows XP (and 2000 and
98se...).

here is my hardware:

athlon 1400 TB
Elitegroup / ECS K7S5A  using SIS735chipset
512 MB DDR
45GB WD HDD
Leadtek GeForce 4 TI 4200 with 64MB
3Com 3C905B NIC
FireWire adaptor (OHCI1394) appears to be detected & configured ok
soundblaster player 1024 nic appears to be detected & configured ok
usb-mouse by logitech (mouseman dual optical, installed as mouseman wheel
USB) ok

ps: in order to connect to the redHat update-service, i would have to get my
nic to work first :-)

please help!!

thanx, Jan Drewes