Re: RPM database corrupt: rpm --rebuilddb and rm /var/lib/rpm/__* don't work.

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, Declan McArdle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following on from the rpm thread of last month, I believe I have a
> corrupt RPM database.
>
> I've followed the instructions on http://www.rpm.org/hintskinks/repairdb
> but I get as far as the SEGV.  (I'll log a bug with Bugzilla as per Jeff
> Johnson's next instructions at the above page - but in the meantime...)
>
> [root@bosher2 /]# rpm -qa
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     182 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e

The DSA signature errors are usually due to not having the GPG key that
redhat uses to sign it's packages imported, though in this case it sounds
like there may be additional problems. Run
rpm --import /usr/share/rhn/RPM-GPG-KEY
and see if it makes any difference.

> There appears to be an uncorrupt set of RPM database files in:
> /usr/lib/rpmdb/i386-redhat-linux/redhat - but I think they're from the
> install?

They will be from the rpmdb-redhat package, which contains a database of
all packages in the distribution, and is for example used by rpm to
suggest packages to resolve dependencies when you are adding packages.

	Michael Young