Logitech wheel mouse problem

I have a USB Logitech 3-button wheel mouse plugged into my PS2 port via a connector.  I've never had a problem with any other RH distro, dating all the way back to 6.2.  It works fine at the console.  In X though, it starts out okay i suppose, but after the systems been up for a day or so it starts to drag to where it's almost useless whenever I use X.

This happens whether I'm in gnome or kde.  I've tried some of the suggestions in other postings, but with no luck.  Occasionally kudzu will take care of it, but generally it requires a reboot.

Please help!  I'm baffled!