Using jfs File System

I want to ugrade my 7.3 workstation to 8.0. But I want to have IBM's JFS
file system as part of the upgrade.  Since Disk Druid doesn't seem to
support jfs partitions, my bright idea is:

format an 80 Gb  hard drive (which is actually in an ADS USB 2.0 Drive
Adapter kit) with jfs partitions using mkfs.jfs from the
jfsutils-1.0.17-1 package.

Then copy over the contents of my 7.3 system to the new hard drive.

Then substitute the jfs-formatted drive for my old ext3-based drive.

Reboot.

If all goes well, pop in the 8.0 CD and do the upgrade.

So far, something went wrong while copying my partitions to the new
drive (following the large hard drive upgrade HOWTO). System locked up
and I had no option but to use the reset button. Subsequent attempts to
mount the jfs partitions failed on a segfault and kernel error messages.

I wonder if the ext3 journal is corrupting jfs on the new drive? Haven't
really looked into this yet. I checked Bugzilla, there are no bugs
posted for jfsutils.

I visited the IBM web site and got the latest JFS source, jfs-1.0.24.
recompiled the 7.3 kernel and built a new jfsutils-1.0.24 package too.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can copy my existing system onto the new drive
successfully, switch drives, and then upgrade 8.0 using a JFS system.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA