apache 2.0 auth working from every client EXCEPT Mozilla on sameserver?

I'm having a strange problem that MUST be something silly.

I have migrated my RH 7.3 / Apache 1.3 sites to Apache 2.0 on RedHat 8.0.

I have done so by editing the original RH8 httpd.conf (ie I am not using
an Apache 1.3 config file or anything).

I had (and have) configured my defaults as follows

     Order deny,allow

     # Deny from all" turns off access to everyone
     # UNLESS explicitly turned on below or in a lower directory.
     deny from all

     # user/group based access control; ALLOW valid users
     AuthType Basic
     AuthName TemporalArts
     AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/users
     AuthGroupFile /etc/httpd/conf/groups
     require valid-user

     # IP address based access control; ALLOW from specific IP addresses.
     allow from 66.47.184.200/255.255.255.248
     allow from localhost .localdomain

     # Satisfy any of the access requirements to get in.
     satisfy any

It works (as it did before). I can access Apache on the RH8 server using
Mozilla or IE from other workstations (some RH73, some W2K) on the local
network. I can access the server using Konquer from a root login/desktop
on the RH8 server.

BUT attempts to access the server from any users desktop on the RH8
server using Mozilla always brings up a login dialog (it shouldn't) and
fails even if I enter an Apache user/password (added using htpasswd, etc.)

I have cleared the Mozilla caches and changed the prefernces to compare
the page on every view.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks
R.Parr