Re: help calling command line at booting OS

Viestissä Lauantai 2. Marraskuuta 2002 21:46, Richard Mulvena kirjoitti:
> Each time Xwindows loads i have to open up a terminal and
> type "alsactl restore" to get the alsamixer unmuted. Does anyone know how
> to set it unmutted by default as it reverts to muted every time i restart
> the PC.

The best place to set this is /etc/modules.conf. Add the line:

post-install snd-card-0 alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1

>This leads me to this question as well. In windows i can specify
> command line options for booting in mnay places registry for programs
> startup folder to call a batch file with my command line in it, and many
> others. Being resonably  new to linux is there a similar process? Can i
> call the equivelent of a windows batch file? where do i call it from? what
> is it called? what is the syntax?.

The actual "command line for booting" is in /boot/grub/grub.conf, but I don't
think that's really what you want. There are lots of places to set up things
at boot or login depending on what you want to do. In addition to
/etc/modules.conf there's /etc/rc.d/rc.local, scripts in directories
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/profile.d,  and ~/.bash_profile for per-user
settings. All except /etc/modules.conf are bash shell scripts.

--
	Markku Kolkka
	markku.kolkka@koti.soon.fi