Can hear xawtv, but can't record audio

I've got an ATI all-in-wonder VE tv card.  I have a tv
cable coming in and I've hooked my videocam to the
line in capture video.  When I run xawtv, I can watch
and hear tv fine and can switch to composite-in and
watch and hear the video fine.  I can record the tv
signal and audio and video are captured fine.  The
problem is when I try to capture video from the
videocamera.  The video portion is captured fine, but
there is no audio.  I have my audio out from the
videocamera going into my soundcard, and like I said
above, I can hear the video camera fine when I play it
-- the problem is in recording video.  I've also
confirmed that the physical setup is fine b/c I've
rebooted into windows and have been able to capture
video and audio w/o problems.

Thinking that the problem might be that gnome is not
recording from the line-in, I've tried to play around
with the "Volume Control" to select the line-in as the
recording source, but that choice doesn't stay.  I
select it, quit the mixer app, and when I open it up
again, the line-in recording box is unchecked.

Anyway, any suggestions on how I might be able to
capture the audio portion of my video playback?

Thanks,
Charles