Re: cyrilic?

Well this is due to the fact that RH8 is now using UTF-8 as a system
wide charset. Certain apps will not work properly if you do not change
the charset back to something simpler, acroread or easyTAG to name two.

You can either use

$ env LANG=C <your command>

or change the system-wide setting in /etc/sysconfig/i18n. For me, the
first line of this file was LANG="en_GB.UTF-8". I changed it to
LANG="en_GB" and rebooted and things are much better (for me anyway).
although mc still seems to play up with kinsole, I am not quite shure
why, but at least most other apps work fine and konsole is actually
"usable" (I had reverted to xterm before I changed this setting).

Sam Monsarrat.