Re: key repeat stops on Psyche

> From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com>
>
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Wade Hampton wrote:

<snip>

> >Perhaps there is a time issue  when the clock is changed back 1 hour?
>
> The X server does not expect the time to go backwards.  Whatever
> you run on your computer while X is running, do not ever allow
> the time to go backwards.  If time goes forwards, about the worst
> that will happen is the screensaver or DPMS will kick in.  If it
> goes backwards, deadlock can result.

Uh, so what is one supposed to do when we switch back to standard
time? I'm not trying to be difficult, but really wonder to do. Are you
saying we should exit X, set the clock back (or let it do it itself as
it does if it's on), and then restart X afterwards?

And of course, people regularly sync their computer clocks using a
time server so this could be a fairly significant problem. My
computer's clock seems to lose a few seconds a day so every day in the
middle of the night I reset it. Now I've never actually had a deadlock
occur, but most of the time I'm setting mine forward.

Dave