Re: cd burning with cdrecord

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Gerry Doris wrote:

>>>for
>
>You may want to consider going to the cdrecord website and downloading the
>latest copy of the rpms.  The author claims that the version shipped with
>RH 8.0 is broken and shouldn't be used.  He has rpms for RH 8.0 available
>on his site.

As the package maintainer of cdrecord in RHL, I'll state if it is
"broken", it is because he wrote it broken, and not because of
something specific to Red Hat Linux.

Also, the "current" code, is labeled "alpha" code, not stable
release code, and _THAT_ is why it is not in Red Hat Linux.

When (if ever, it's been like 2 years since there was a new
release) the author releases a new version as a "stable" release,
then it will be considered for inclusion in Red Hat Linux - and
only then if the source code is properly GPL licensed through and
through.  If there isn't a new stable release sometime before
long, I may end up dropping cdrtools and replacing it entirely
with the fully GPL licensed dvdrtools (which we ship already
also) which is fully compatible with cdrtools (as it is based on
it).

I guess never releasing an official stable version of the code
which supports newer hardware is his way of saying either "please
purchase a license for my proprietary version of
cdrecord-ProDVD", or possibly "please replace the aged cdrtools
with a open source replacement which is maintained and kept up to
date".

But...  I digress......

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer