Re: geforce 4 mx440 on rh8

Jim Christiansen wrote:

> My @$%%# nicely running RH8 install will NOT work with geforce 4 mx440
> cards.  My son's computer, a little old ecs k7sem rips along just fine
> when he sticks it in his.

Is your son running RH8 when he tests the GeForce 4 card?  If so, is he
using the nvidia binary drivers or the xfree86 drivers?

> We have 4 computers in the house, all running with nvidia tnt2,gf2, and
> gf4mx boards using the tars from nvidia.com.  I don't think that the
> open GL set up is the prob...
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Yes, the list is full of people trying to unsuccessfully run with Nvidia
binary drivers which weren't compiled with the same compiler revision
used for the rest of the kernel.

I recommend that you debug the problem using the generic xfree86 driver
that Red Hat provides.  That way you can narrow down whether or not it
is a hardware or software problem.  Other things you need to check is
the Red Hat hardware compatibility list results for your motherboard and
graphics card, plus make sure your AGP bios settings are within spec.

Tom