Too much antialiasing

I like antialiasing for smoothing out curves and diagonals, and under
previous Red Hat releases (7.1, 7.2 and 7.3) this worked well,
especially with subpixel AA on an LCD panel.  Under 8.0, however,
antialiasing extends to vertical font elements, which makes everything
look quite terrible.  The characters seem to acquire dropshadows.

At first I thought it was my graphics card producing poor output, but
then reinstalled an older release and found that the problem went
away.

I built freetype with the bytecode hinter turned on and found no
change.

 - J<