Re: Resolution Help

Tony Nugent wrote:
> On Wed Oct 30 2002 at 16:52, Thomas Dodd wrote:
>>NVIDIAS drivers have not been properly rebuilt for RHL-8.0 yet.
>>I just checked the web site and there was nothing new there.
>
> For what it is worth, the nvidia .src.rpm files recompiled just fine
> for me and seem to work very nicely on my psyche box (geforce2
> card).

You only recompiled the wrapper, and relinked to the binard part,
which was compiled with an older gcc. There are some changes in
gcc's layout of structures that can be problematic.

NVIDIA released a newer version of the binary part,but
it's still not built with the current compiler. Kernel modules
should be built with the same compiler as the kernel.

>>go reread the NVIDIA install documentation.
>

> (yes, absolutely essential.  but it seems that you need to do thi
> yourself:)

I think I mentioned it, but I replaced my NVIDIA card befor their
1.0 release. I haven't followed to closely since then.

>>Same here.
> Huh?  That's the right driver :)
>
> Although there _are_ lots of options available for runing the driver.
Yes the correct driver, so Check the docs for other options that
might be needed. I know the TNT2, abnd especially the M64 version,
were poorly supported. The drivers were aimed at the GeForce lines.

> The glx module is required, but the dri and GLcore modules are not.
> IIRC, the DRI section is simply ignored or inconsequential as long
> as the dri module is not loaded.  The nvidia docs say nothing about
> having to remove this section, I didn't and it works just fine.

Misremembered:(
Checking the docs would point that out.

>>>(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"

Missed that :)
I should read more carefully.

>>>        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.3123

I wonder if this could be a problem. Psyche shipped
with XFree86-4.2.0.

> And you are saying, remove it?
No, to check the docs. I missed the NVIDIA line in
the GLX module load above.

>>>(II) NVIDIA(0): AGP 4X successfully initialized
>>
>>Humm... 4x AGP...
>

> That's good as long as the chipset on the motherboard can handle it.

I remember some problems with higher AGP speeds.
Depends on the motherboard. Could also be an issue
for 3D work. Also, which AGP driver is in use?
For a while there was a choice, and the kernel
driver worked better on some boards.

>>>(II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit
>>
>>I wonder which GLX module this is?
>
> The one from nvidia :)

Yeah, I see than now.
>>Make sure you have the correct kernel modules installed.
>
> He's doing just fine, I'm afraid your comments are a little
> misleading on this particular point.  But you were right about the
> lack of specified video modes in the screen section.

Still not valid points about reading the docs.
Something looked wrong to me. But again it has
been a while.

>>Post/send me the new config file and the X log file
>>from when you try to start in 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

> ahh, what did you say above here... danger will robinson? :-)

:) I always liked that robot.

Still. If a higher res is in the config, and it doesn't work,
we need the log for that attempt to see what went wrong.

	-Thomas