Re: Resolution Help

On Wed Oct 30 2002 at 16:52, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Ryan McDougall wrote:
> > Ok so I tried to use the xf86config but that screwed things up worse than I
> > before, I don't think I know my stuff well enough in Linux to use that tool. I
> > did install the NVIDIA drivers and they are working but not with resolutions
>
> WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! DANGER WILL ROBINSON!
>
> NVIDIAS drivers have not been properly rebuilt for RHL-8.0 yet.
> I just checked the web site and there was nothing new there.

For what it is worth, the nvidia .src.rpm files recompiled just fine
for me and seem to work very nicely on my psyche box (geforce2
card).

However, I must admit that the TVout functionality is a little
unstable though -- although this does work.  Great for watching
dvd's through your video or tv, which is something that the
commercial winblows utils won't let you do with tvout enabled :)

I've also found that it is a little more unstable if you also use
the riva framebuffer device driver (rivafb), which is essential if
you have a video tuner card and want to use fbtv to watch TV on a
text console.  (It doesn't seem to be possible to use fbtv with the
standard vesa framebuffer driver).

> go reread the NVIDIA install documentation.

(yes, absolutely essential.  but it seems that you need to do this
yourself:)

> > Section "Device"
> >         # no known options
> >         #BusID
> >         Identifier  "NVIDIA Riva TNT2"
> >         Driver      "nvidia"
>
> Same here.

Huh?  That's the right driver :)

Although there _are_ lots of options available for runing the driver.

> > Section "DRI"
> >         Mode         0666
> > EndSection
>
> and again here.
>
> NVIDIAS drivers *_REQUIRE_* modification to the XFree86 config file,
> and to the best of my knowledge they must be done by hand.

The glx module is required, but the dri and GLcore modules are not.
IIRC, the DRI section is simply ignored or inconsequential as long
as the dri module is not loaded.  The nvidia docs say nothing about
having to remove this section, I didn't and it works just fine.

> > (II) LoadModule: "glx"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
> > (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> >         compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.3123
> >         Module class: XFree86 Server Extension
> >         ABI class: XFree86 Server Extension, version 0.1
> > (II) Loading extension GLX

> Reread the Installation instructions. NVIDIA'd driver
> doesn't use the XF86 glx modules. They also don't use
> the linux-XF86 DRM methods either.

True, but...

The docs clearly state that in the modules section you DO need to
load the glx module (which I assume belongs to the nvidia driver
itself).  Again: you MUST have in the Modules section: "Load glx".

And you are saying, remove it?

[ ... ]

> > (II) NVIDIA(0): AGP 4X successfully initialized
> Humm... 4x AGP...

That's good as long as the chipset on the motherboard can handle it.

(Try running "sensors-detect" to setup the chipset drivers).

> > (II) Loading extension NV-GLX
> > (II) Loading extension NV-CONTROL
>
> Here's NVIDIA's GLX module. Probably won't like that you
> have already loaded the XF86 one.

Why are you so sure that the glx module that is loaded is the
xfree86 version?

The rpm install of the nvidia driver replaces libglx.so in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/ (and moves sideways the old
version by renaming it).)

> > (II) [GLX]: Calling GlxExtensionInit
>
> I wonder which GLX module this is?

The one from nvidia :)

> Make sure you have the correct kernel modules installed.

He's doing just fine, I'm afraid your comments are a little
misleading on this particular point.  But you were right about the
lack of specified video modes in the screen section.

> Post/send me the new config file and the X log file
> from when you try to start in 1024x768 or 1280x1024.

ahh, what did you say above here... danger will robinson? :-)

> 	-Thomas

Cheers
Tony