Re: smtp (sendmail) problem

At 08:53 AM 10/30/2002, you wrote:
>Actually, it is a little bit of a problem.  If you don't edit the .mc
>file, then you could shoot yourself in the foot later on when you do
>need to make a change to the .mc file and forget about the interface you
>added directly into the .cf file.  Then you go and generate the .cf
>file and wonder why sendmail stops working.  Natural troubleshooting
>would lead you to believe that the problem is in the last change you
>made, when actually it's because you took a short-cut earlier.
>
>Spend the extra 30 seconds now and do it the right way and save yourself
>from any potential grief down the road.

And to chime in with my two cents on this one,
/usr/share/doc/sendmail/README.redhat states:

!Note!
======

New in the latest package now is also that the configuration files will be
automatically updated after a restart if the corresponding mc files in
/etc/mail have been modified so changes done to the sendmail.cf and submit.cf
file will be lost if not done in the respective sendmail.mc and submit.mc
files, too.

While I have not fallen victim (nor verified) this one yet, I think we can
prevent the future posting of "oddity with RedHat 8 sendmail.cf file" by
just configuring the .mc file.

Pete

Pete Huckelba

Stata Corporation