Re: smtp (sendmail) problem

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:53:21PM +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> On Wed Oct 30 2002 at 11:16, "Rimas" wrote:
>
> > I have installed sendmail on my RH 8 box and sendmail service is only
> > running on loopback interface.
>
> (which is an excellent default configuration for general
> distribution purposes).
>
> > How to add it to run on eth0?
>
> Add another entry to the sendmail.cf file that specifies the IP on
> that interface (with syntax exactly like the one for 127.0.0.1).
>
> Or comment out that line altogether, in which case sendmail will
> bind to all IPs on all interfaces.
>

> (Of course the "real way" to do this is to add the entry into the
> .mc file then recreate the .cf from there.  But for quick hacks like
> this, no problem).

Actually, it is a little bit of a problem.  If you don't edit the .mc
file, then you could shoot yourself in the foot later on when you do
need to make a change to the .mc file and forget about the interface you
added directly into the .cf file.  Then you go and generate the .cf
file and wonder why sendmail stops working.  Natural troubleshooting
would lead you to believe that the problem is in the last change you
made, when actually it's because you took a short-cut earlier.

Spend the extra 30 seconds now and do it the right way and save yourself
from any potential grief down the road.

        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA