HELP! libXft Relocation Error

I searched for this to be answered already but could not find it, so sorry
if it has been discussed before.
I can't seem to start KDE nor Gnome as user me.
I can get in just fine as root tho.

I get the following as user:
gnome-session: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXft.so.2: undefined symbol:
FT_Set_Hint_Flags
and if id KDE i get a KDEinit error.

Things I have tried.
- Re-insalled all pertinent libs from Psyche CDs.
- Made sure all links point to the libXft that came the Psyche
- Blew away my user's .kde and .gnome dirs. (that worked the first reboot)
(second reboot was back to being broke)

I know there is a bugzilla open for it but no real answers that work.

This started right after the upgrade from 7.3 to 8.0

Been running as root just to get work done.
Any suggestions?

PS. Even when it was temporarily working as myself every once in a while
right clicking on certain apps for a menu would blow the app and display
the same above error.

--
Winston Ojeda
Milwaukee, WI USA