Re: openldap woes - Redhat 8

Did you check that there is a slapd process running under the ldap user,
and that it is listening on ldap service port?
ps -ef|grep ldap
netstat -at|grep ldap

If so then check that it is listening on all addresses (thus including
loopback) and that your ldapsearch is against localhost (default I
think).  If so, then check iptables or ipchains or tcpwrapper
(/etc/hosts.allow,/etc/hosts.deny) restrictions.

If no process or not listening on expected port then look for a
slapd.conf configuration problem.  You can turn on logging of
configuration errors with a "loglevel 64" directive, and make sure your
syslog.conf has local4.* going somewhere.