Re: [Fwd: Wireless Question]

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Kathy Bieltz wrote:
> Do you mean it's the university tech. people who will only provide
> binary VPN clients for Linux?  Because I don't believe it's Cisco.  My
> company's tech. support provides the source for Cisco's VPN client for
> those of us who are Linux users so we can compile a VPN client that
> works on our individual Linux systems.  I purchased Cisco wireless
> hardware for my home a year ago because they are one of the first
> vendors to really provide customer tech. support for Linux.

Hi Kathy,

all this information is what she's been able to get from the uni's tech
people and her LUG.  According to them Cisco will provide the binaries if
you own the hardware.  I seem to remember other people on this list (or
Valhalla) having problems getting hold of the client from Cisco.  The Uni
owns the hardware and they will _unoffically_ distribute the linux
binaries for the client.  It's interesting that you had access to the
source.  I'll get her to ask around a bit more.  I guess my main concern
is getting a wireless card that will work immediately for her, will work
in other environments (ie I'd like it to be able to do 40/64 and 104/128
WEP, and Donald suggests the Orinoco Gold is good for that), and will be
supported by as many developers as possible (hence, apart from the
moral aspect, Free or Open-Source Software would be most practical)

Thanks,
Oisin