how to change x configuration

I want to try different settings for X, which presently gives me a garbled screen when I start up RH8.0. Funny thing is I choose the same values used by the installer which seemed to work great, tested fine... Then I tried choosing my exact hardware from the list rather than the values used during install (specifically ati radeon 7200, AOC 9Glr monitor) Same result:garbled screen with a mouse that looks fine.

Ctrl-alt-backspace doesn't seem to kill X. Is there any way for me to change my settings without doing the entire install again (a third time)? Or even If i could log in using text mode that would be a start.

I tried using the update option in the install cd but it didn't let me change settings. Rescue mode didn't seem to give me the expected tools (emacs) If i could even kill X I could at least try to manually edit the XF86Config-4.

Can anyone give me some guidance here?