Recompile Kernel

Does anyone have step by step instructions to recompile a kernel or can
possibly help me? And please don't point me to the kernel howto since
I've been down that road. I've tried several times all with different
problems. First of all, I am recompiling because I want to add ntfs,
ipx, and possibly some others in the future. I normally begin by running
make xconfig, but the problem is I don't want to look through every
option (half of which are totally unknown to me). Is there a way to load
the current kernel configurations? I then run make dep and make clean
and make bzImage. If I copy the bzImage and put the "kernel /bzImage"
command in grub, then my new kernel boots with the ntfs support, but it
doesn't mount my ethernet card and it complains about not having ext3
support and there's nothing but kernel.h in my /boot directory?!?! If
instead of copying the new kernel, I do a make install, then it appends
custom to the name of the kernel files in my /boot directory and creates
a new section in my grub.conf file, but when I boot with it, it has a
heart attack (kernel panick) and says something about my root=LABEL
being a problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeremy