Re: configure LVM after installation?

I plan to use a
> backup computer for our Lab.
> I had opted for the default ext3 filesystem during install
and made the
> appropriate partitions.
>
> A few days later I realized that the hard disk space
(50GB) would run
> out within a few months. I now want to use LVM , so that
new hard disks
> can be plugged in with little effort , at a later date.
>
> My question: Can I convert the existing ext3 setup into an
LVM managed
> system without going through the complete installation
process again?

Encapsulation is not possible... you have to dump and restore.

But if you have some empty space on your disk... you can
make a partition of type LVM in fdisk (Type 8e in fdisk)...
and create a physical volume... a volume group... a logical
volume...

You can have a look on the how to of sistina for further
information.... (Google will probably find it easily)

> Thanks
> Mathur

JYL
Boîte aux lettres - Caramail - http://www.caramail.com