Re: RH8.0 on <PIII 500 (was Re: i386 kernel not included?)

--- Andrew Smith <rhml2@k1k2.com> wrote:
> Actually, this was from a very old thread discussing
> older hardware
> using Linux or Windows

I think RH has improved a little on older HW since
that thread started, which I believe was on the 7.2
list IIRC.

> You will find that WinXPHome even runs well on a
> PII333 using things
> like OpenOffice etc (my 2 & 3 year olds PC is
> WinXPHome)
> It has 256MB RAM and a RIVA TNT2 64 with 32MB
> I can play games like CounterStrike in full 1024x768
> running fine
> But linux with X-Windows (I think it was 7.2) really
> pales in
> performance comparison
>
> On my PIII 500 (with 384MB RAM + GeForce4 MX 440
> with 64MB RAM) Linux
> + X-Windows runs well :-)
>
> So somewhere between the two Linux + X-Windows sux
> IMHO.

Right now (not this machine) but one of my other
machines, I have RH 8.0 installed on a regular pentium
200 MHz with 64MB RAM and a 4MB video card, and it
runs fairly fast.... until I fire up X-windows. I have
tweaked quite a few X settings and I have gotten a
considerable performance boost. I don't think it's as
fast as it could be, but it is considerably faster
when compared to how 7.2 used to run. X as a whole
fires up faster, but some of the newer applications
(Openoffice for example) take a minute or two to
start. I think this is more the applications than
X-windows itself.

=====
Kevin C. McConnell --RHCE-- <Red Hat Certified Engineer>