Re: Direct TV Satellite connections

jerry ely wrote:
> Due to the 'speed-of-light' thing, the culprit for the performance issue is
> TCP/IP. I had the privelage of speaking with an IBM genius in networking and
> he provided an easy explanation. TCP/IP uses 'sliding window' for
> flowcontrol. The window size can be up to 64k and varies depending on

> With this in mind, the 'custom software' mentioned could easily be an IPv6
> tunnel or similar. Since linux has IPv6 software in its collection, maybe
> using this would releive some of the perfoemance concerns experienced b y2
> way sattelite communications....IMHO

I think it's more like the accelerator software sold for modem use.
Mostly caching, possibly some compression. That's for incomming
traffic. Outgoing is worse, since you have to wait for a transmit
slot. Then you send a burst of data. Again, for browsing, it's not
to bad, but for other work it's too much delay.

http://www.starbandusers.com/performance.htm

has some good info, I'm sure DirectWay is using the same type
of software.

The genberal info is that neither StarBand nor DirectWay is
usable with non-Windoze. StarBand dropped their support of the 180
box, and the new 360 doesn't have an ethernet jack.

	-Thomas