Re: Direct TV Satellite connections

Due to the 'speed-of-light' thing, the culprit for the performance issue is
TCP/IP. I had the privelage of speaking with an IBM genius in networking and
he provided an easy explanation. TCP/IP uses 'sliding window' for
flowcontrol. The window size can be up to 64k and varies depending on
network conditions, configuration and other thngs. Assuming the full window
during bulk downloads, you can send  or receive 64k of data in one direction
without waiting for an ack. Doing a bit of math reveals that 64k bytes end
up being enough to keep a t1 busy even if there are long link delays.
However, with very long delays, you cap out at about t1 speeds or whatever
64k times ack delay/time unit comes out to be no matter what the pipe
advertises ( assuming large bandwidth).

Things like http and ftp will feel it because they are TCP based. However,
udp based communications are not locked into this since they do not manage a
'sliding window' or any other protocol level flow control, so in theory, you
can transmit at wire speeds no matter what the delay, using udp. My
understanding is that IPv6 anticipated this and is proposing a negotiated
rate of transmission instead of a 'window' This would almost kill the
effects of 'speed of light' concerns unless re-transmissions became an
issue.

With this in mind, the 'custom software' mentioned could easily be an IPv6
tunnel or similar. Since linux has IPv6 software in its collection, maybe
using this would releive some of the perfoemance concerns experienced b y2
way sattelite communications....IMHO

Jerry