Re: CUPS Configuration Errors: LaserJet@localhost Problems

Robert L. Cochran wrote:
> I'm really confused here. I've defined a nice CUPS printer as mentioned
> earlier, using the web adminstration interface. The device URI is
> lpd://PS55255/L1 and it will print a nice test page when I click the
> "Print Test Page" button.

If you look at what I wrote previously, the URL should include the IP
address of the printer.  Try defining a new printer according to my
prescription.  For example: I believe in your case it should be:

lpd://192.168.1.160/PS55255_P1

> I notice that cupsd and cups-lpd do not start at startup even with
> cups-lpd turned on via ntsysv.

I do not use cups-lpd - it should only be needed to print from some
older unix/linux systems through your current RH8.0 system I believe.

> I've turned off lpd in all runlevels.
>
> I wonder if I'm missing an installation file? I have cups-1.1.15-10
> installed. Are there other, related RPMs?

That is the only cups file I have, but I use some gimp drivers so I have
  some gimp drivers and a cups-drivers package which you may need.

[gerry@gstpc Pictures]$ rpm -q cups-drivers
cups-drivers-1.9-1.20020617.6

If you run redhat-switch-printer, does it indicate that you are using CUPS?

--
gerry
_____