Re: ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 conversion

On 21 Oct 2002, Gordon Messmer wrote:

>> PS: The non-working umlauts in pine with a WONTFIX bug status
>>   is a major problem for me.
>
>Use a better mailer (doesn't mutt support UTF-8?) or request that the
>pine maintainers fix it.  The pine license sorta sucks, and I think it
>prevents Red Hat from fixing problems themselves.  The same sort of
>thing is the reason that Red Hat doesn't ship qmail... :-/

The pine license does suck.  It isn't true open source software.
Technically we could hack PINE into understanding and working
with UTF-8, however the time spent doing so on software that is
not truely free softare, is IMHO better spent on improving some
other software which _is_ truely free and open.  The PINE license
doesn't make it clear wether or not such modifications would be
allowed or wether we'd need to jump through hoops.

As such, anyone using PINE, should make feature and enhancement
requests directly to the University of Washington.  If they
refuse an enhancement/feature request, then even if someone else
such as Red Hat were to make the enhancement, we'd have to
maintain it as a separate patch indefinitely.

For the record, I have used PINE for 8 years and am hopelessly
hooked on it for email.  I have tried every piece of open source
software out there as a potential replacement, and none of them
work in a manner that is acceptable to me.  So, while I hate the
PINE license, the closed "black pit" development model, lack of
access to developmental CVS sources, etc. - I do love the program
itself.  I just wont have any part of enhancing it however, as it
is not open source software, and I am an open source advocate.
;o)

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer