CUPS Configuration Errors: LaserJet@localhost Problems

Title: CUPS Configuration Errors: LaserJet@localhost Problems

When I configure CUPS printing from http://localhost:631/admin , I'm able to get a beautiful test page to print on my Laserjet. To access the web page, by the way, I have do so as root and give the root password.

When I try to submit a job to print via CUPS to this printer as an ordinary user, I'm given errors on printer 'Laserjet@localhost'. Specifically that localhost doesn't exist as a file or a directory. I also get a stream of messages to the effect that I should make sure that this user has permission to access localhost.

This also occurs when I use the rawhide versions of redhat-config-printer/redhat-config-printer-gui which are updated to allow CUPS IPP printing. I get a nice error dialog box with the same messages.

The machine is a laptop hooked into my LAN.

/etc/hosts on this machine does list localhost.localdomain as 127.0.0.1 with the alias localhost.

The nameserver has entries pointing to the printer's IP address.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Robert L. Cochran